Department: Professional Services
Reporting to: Professional Services Director
Position Type: Full time
Travel Required: Up to 65%
The Senior System Engineer is primarily engaged on customer facing professional services engagements of low-to-medium complexity and focuses on technical aspects of project delivery (such as implementation and configuration with any related documentation).
The position requires an individual to apply a systematic consulting methodology for implementing IT solutions covering infrastructure, virtualization, cloud, enterprise mobility and/or networking technologies.
The Senior System Engineer shall be continuously developing his professional skills and becoming proficient with the relevant technologies by attending trainings as well as using self-study materials.
The position requires a team player with very good written and verbal communication skills.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Senior System Engineer works on customer facing consulting projects of low-to-medium complexity with responsibilities to deliver technical aspects of project implementation (i.e. deployment and configuration of software, hardware and networking components) with any related documentation. In a nutshell, a Senior System Engineer:
- Analyzes customer business and technical requirements and develops architecture designs for the proposed solution.
- Deploys/implements the relevant software and hardware in an enterprise environment.
- Documents architecture design, project implementation activities as well as deployment steps and configuration settings.
- Performs on-site training or knowledge transfer sessions for customers on deployed technologies.
- Assists customers through the rollout or go-live phase for the newly deployed systems or environments.
- Provides remote technical support when not engaged on-site.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties that may include new software or hardware testing, quality assurance, or documentation.
- Stays up to date on the latest relevant technologies by attending training classes, reading self-study manuals or performing any necessary research & development as requested by management.
- Project Execution – Takes full ownership of technical aspects of project delivery, but also emerges as a significant contributor and leader on project efforts while coordinating activities with project managers.
- Analysis & Design – being able to analyze business and technical customer requirements and develop architecture designs for the proposed solutions based on the gathered requirements.
- Problem Solving – being able to systematically solve technical issues thru the use of appropriate resources (knowledge base articles, whitepapers, technical manuals, etc.) while maintaining an “issues log”; in addition to being able to address other miscellaneous project challenges by working with project managers and/or other team members.
- Teamwork – being able to work alone or as part of a project team that might include other System Engineer, architects and/or project managers while helping in coordinating team activities to ensure task completion.
- Accountability – developing a full understanding of the overall project scope, being fully responsible for performing his tasks before the committed deadline while holding teammates accountable for their respective commitments.
- Communication – Communicates clearly so that mutual understanding is achieved and reinforces verbal agreement in writing (such as confirmation emails, minutes of meetings, etc…) and is receptive of input from the project manager or other senior project staff. In addition, proactively and openly shares information and ideas with peers and teammates.
- Talent Development – Is passionate about technology as is proactively seeking to learn new products and technologies in a short time in order to broaden his knowledge.
A Senior System Engineer must possess good knowledge for deploying or administering at least three of the following products or technologies:
- Infrastructure: Windows Server, Active Directory and Microsoft System Center.
- Messaging & Collaboration: Microsoft Exchange, Skype for Business and/or SharePoint.
- Virtualization: Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware vSphere, Citrix Virtual App or VMware Horizon.
- Public Cloud: Azure, AWS or GCP.
- Private Cloud: AWS Virtual Private Cloud, Microsoft Azure Stack, OpenStack.
- Enterprise Mobility: Citrix Endpoint Management (XenMobile), Microsoft InTune or VMware Airwatch.
A Senior System Engineer should ideally hold at least two of the below technology certifications:
- Azure Certifications such as Azure Administrator or Azure Cloud Architect.
- Google Certifications such as Professional Cloud Architect, Cloud DevOps Engineer or Collaboration Engineer.
- Citrix Certified Professional (CCP-V, CCP-N or CCP-M).
- Cyber-Security Certifications such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) or Certified Information Security Manager (CISM).
Qualifications & Education
- BS/BA in Computer Science or Information Systems from an accredited university.
- 5-8 years of hands-on experience as a system administrator or implementation engineer.
- Systematic approach to problem solving.
- Positive customer service attitude with good soft skills.
- Good presentation and technical documentation skills.
- Wiling to travel up to 65% of the time.
- Fluent in English, French and Arabic